We are entering our brown trout spawning season and special regulations time in Arkansas! This is the busiest time on our rivers and a time for you to catch monster trout. There are special regulations that begin Oct 1 on the Little Red River and Nov 1 on the White River. We will keep you posted on when we start seeing trout staging before spawning. Great time to fish but please do it responsibly.
Cow Shoals Seasonal Catch-and-Release Area: Oct. 1-Dec. 31. Head of Cow Shoals to mouth of Canoe Creek, as indicated by signs. Only artificial lures with a single, barbless hooking point shall be used. Natural or scented baits are prohibited. All trout must be released immediately. Closed to night fishing (one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise).
• Use bronze hooks whenever possible. If the fish swallows the hook, cut the leader instead of trying to remove it. Bronze dissolves more rapidly than steel or shiny gold hooks.
• If possible,avoid touching the fish with your hands. Skincontains salts and oils that may destroy the fish’s protective slime coat. If you must hold the fish, wet your hands before attempting to land it.
• Use nets made of soft materials such as cotton, soft nylon or rubber and wet the netting before landing your fish.
• Keep the fish out of the water only long enough to remove the hook and take a photo.
• Fish can run out of energy while being caught. When releasing the fish, hold it in the water to stimulate its gills. Allow the fish to swim away on its own.